A top-down Shoot-Em-Up about a bullet-filled encounter with an AI named Vira
October 2018 – December 2018 || Solo Developer
Project Vira was a game developed over the course of a 3 month period. For this project, I did all of the design, programming, and writing, as well as most of the game’s art.
The Player takes control over a small ship-based Avatar which they use to fight their way through multiple boss stages and eventually reach the end of the game. The Player only has access to small, fast firing shots, a massive laser that grants them invulnerability, and an incredibly small hitbox that allows them to weave through the hail of bullets. During gameplay, the Player will also learn about Vira, the AI they’ve been told to capture, and will come to understand more of their situation within the world as the game continues to progress. This is done through short dialogue scenes that break up the tense boss battles.
During this project, I developed and enhanced the following skills:
– Technical proficiency in Unity and C#, as the entire project was programmed by myself.
– I gained a lot of practice creating 2D art assets as well as implementing them into a project properly.
– I gained more experience designing User Interfaces.
– I learned a lot from one of my first attempts at a serious narrative.
– I worked on designing a proper difficulty curve to keep the game interesting as it progressed.
– I worked on designing boss patterns for a Shoot-Em-Up/Bullet Hell that incorporated many different aspects of design.
– I worked on prioritization of features during development in order to create the best player experience during the time frame.